| Home | About | Food | Fashion | Beauty | DIY | Shop |

Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Soup




Classic chicken soup is a true comfort food. Yesterday (and unfortunately today) I woke up and saw my breath. Instead of freaking out and crying, which is my normal reaction, I decided I needed some comforting. Some serious comforting.
Soup's on.

Yield: aprrox 8 servings

Soup:
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
  • 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 2 potatoes, cubed (about 1/2-inch)
  • 3/4 bag frozen peas... I LOVE PEAS! (I tend to add the whole bag, so it's more about how many you want floating around your soup bowl.)
  • 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed (small enough to handle with your spoon)
  • 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh, cubed (same size as the boobies)
  • 2 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium stock (I happened to have had a chicken from the day before, so I made a stock. This is my personal favorite. In the end you need about 1/2 gallon.) 
    • I'd like to point out that I use stock, not broth. This is because the stock is made using the bones, so it has a richer flavor that I personally find more appealing, but either one works. The whole "low-sodium" thing is just because I like to be able to control the end saltiness myself.
  • 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 bay leafs
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
  • Shredded parmesan, for garnish
Dumplings:
  • 2 C flour
  • pinch o' salt
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch o' pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 2/3 C milk





Preparation:


Heat the oil in a giant pot (I use a dutch oven) over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onions have just become translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, stock, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a low simmer, covered and cook for about 30-35 min. 


Sift together the dumpling's dry ingredients. (I often add some thyme to the dumplings as well). Add egg, butter, and (slowly) enough milk to bring the batter together. It should be fairly thick (think oatmeal cookie dough). Let rest for 1 min.
Raise temperature until just below a boil. Add chicken, and peas. Spoon in dumpling dough/batter and securely cover the pot. Please, please, please, no peeking. Cook for another 15-20 min.
When your nose can't take it anymore (and your  whole house will smell like Grandma's making you a get well meal) plate up, or should I say "bowl up," a nice big serving. Sprinkle on that chopped parsley and bit of shredded parmesan. If you want an extra special kick to help clear out your stuffy nose, warm you up, or simply add a punch, I like a dash of cayenne per bowl... this will make you sniffle a bit, but it definitely helps warm you up.




(The perfect bowl of "grandma magic" can easily be made up to 3 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated, or frozen for up to 3 months.) 

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm! Thanks. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is gorgeous....perfect for chilly nights :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thank you, Rey! It def helps pass the colder months.

    ReplyDelete