| Home | About | Food | Fashion | Beauty | DIY | Shop |

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Let's talk...

  I decided to start this as a tribute to my love of everything delectable... that and everything sparkly. 



     What makes food so special? It's the creation. It's the amazing way it connects us. It brings us together like nothing else. It is something we can share... a way our love and passion is made tangible; into something concrete that can be experienced by everyone who meets it.

     As a child, my parents (two dads and a mom) spent countless hours with me and my sisters in the kitchen(s). We'd wreak a whirlwind of havoc creating everything and anything we could get our hands on. There was the traditional bowl licking after mixing brownie batter... though most of it would end up in my sisters' and my hair rather that in the oven. Ice cream was always fun, too... but my middle sister was always set on licking the ice cream away before it even reached the freezer.  




     Don't get me wrong. We made healthy snacks too. I was often the one leading the way into the kitchen for an after school snack... taking my role as big sister a bit too seriously at times. Ants on a log were a favorite, slightly outshined by anything slathered in nutella.  


     Fashion and beauty also played a starring roll in my upbringing. Being the daughter of a world class photographer and a beautiful model (and published author) had to make a bit of an impression. I'm so glad it did! I love the way a colorful piece of jewelry, or the right shade of lipstick can instantly alter moods. Ever since I can remember, my sisters and I would swath ourselves in bedsheets, don our mother's shoes, and slap on some (rather poorly applied) makeup, strutting out stuff, without a care in the world. 

     So here I am, a semi-adult who's reminiscing about my childhood blunders. What good times... Sometimes I wish Peter Pan was right and Neverland actually existed. But in the end, I get to be the one who enjoys my often absurd and frequently fantastical life. If it's taught me anything, it's that everyday is a new experience... and a little bit of pixie dust never hurt anyone.
 

3 comments: