| Home | About | Food | Fashion | Beauty | DIY | Shop |

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Salsa Fresca

When I have a hankering for summer, I crave Mexican food. It feeds my soul. Growing up in California, avocados were one of my premier baby foods, closely followed by everything bathed in cilantro. Here is a quick recipe that will always remind me of home in July.



Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs (ish) tomatoes...try to mix up the variety so there is more depth of flavor. 
    • For this particular batch, I used one globe tomato, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and about 8 pearl tomatoes.
    • Dice all tomatoes into relatively equal sizes...think salsa
  • 1/3 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced (or grated)
  • 1 lime...depending on how juicy it is. The last lime I used was so juicy I only needed 1/2
  • 1 tsp kosher or rock salt
  • 1/2 Tbs jalapeno pepper flakes (or about 1/2 jalapeno...more if you like it spicier. Remember, the seeds are the spiciest part)
  • 2 large Tbs cilantro, chopped

Add all ingredients to a med size mixing bowl. Gently stir to evenly distribute. This dish is best when made the night before so that the flavors can really get the party started. Taste test before serving to check on salt. Adjust as necessary. Serve with your favorite chips, tacos, beans and rice... anything your heart desires. This time, I'm breaking out the corn chips and calling it a day. 
Happy summer dreaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment