| Home | About | Food | Fashion | Beauty | DIY | Shop |

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Brussels Sprouts?!

Yes. That's right. I'm doing a post on one of the most feared veggies around: the Brussels sprout.
I happen to love these things. The odd part is that I didn't really discover my live for then until my youngest sister (who was about 8 at the time) requested they be made for dinner. Well, let me tell you, she's grown out of the Brussels faze, but I most certainly have not. Luckily for me, neither has my boyfriend... And he's my personal Guinea pig.



I feel that these beautiful little buds deserve to be cooked properly. Not over boiled until mushy. No wonder everyone hates these things. They're the nasty side dish that's always left on the Thanksgiving table when everything else has been devoured. I'm here today to try and change your mind. Trust me, when these babies are sautéed with a nice crust, and some caramelized onions and wine are involved... You'll be eating your veggies and asking for seconds.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts:
• 1 lbs Brussels sprouts, halved
• 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
• 1 tbs olive oil
• 1/4 C favorite wine (red and white both work great... it al depends on what flavor you prefer)
• 1 tbs honey
• salt and pepper to taste

Lightly begin to caramelize the onions and olive oil over medium heat. Deglaze pan with wine of choice, honey, salt and pepper. Add halved sprouts cut side down. Cover pan and allow to cook for about five minutes, or until just fork tender. You want the end result to remain bright green, and maintain a firmness. Now, enjoy with your favorite entrée.

No comments:

Post a Comment