| Home | About | Food | Fashion | Beauty | DIY | Shop |

Monday, October 15, 2012

Apple Chips: A Healthy Autumn Snack


Apple chips are one of my favorite "healthy" snacks. The one problem is that they are so darned expensive. I mean really, $6 of a 2 oz bag!? Luckily, I live in New England and it just so happens to be apple picking season... And you know that means that I dragged poor Jenn out with me (on a "partly" rainy day) to go traipsing around a local farm. We collected more apples that either of us knew what to do with. My solution? Apple chips.

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:
• 2 apples (pick your favorite)
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Wash the apples and slice them thinly with a knife or a mandoline. Mine were so thin, they were slightly transparent. I've doubt that about 1/8th of an inch is a good goal. Remove any seeds from the slices.

Lay out the apples onto parchment paper or a sil-mat on a baking sheet. Take care to make one even layer; try to overlapping.

Lightly dust a light layer of cinnamon evenly over all chips.

Cook for about 40 minutes*, flipping the apples about half way through. Continue baking until chips have lost most of their moisture. For the last 15 minutes I did a few walk-bys to make sure they didn't over cook.... Needless to say, I should have pulled them out about 3 minutes earlier. They will dry and crisp more once they are out of the oven.

*Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the apple slices

No comments:

Post a Comment